Instead of doing something really patriotic on the Fourth of July, (like have a mattress sale) BlatherWatch has a tradition of covering ourselves in glory, and helping you celebrate your American liberdee by providing an inspirational red, white and blue recipe for your holiday eating enjoyment. This year's recipe has hot dogs AND FIRECRACKERS! (remember: no smoking!)
Red, White and Blueberry Firecracker Hotdog Potato Salad
* 1 cup chopped green onions, divided
* 1 cup sour cream
* 1/2 cup mayonnaise
* 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
* 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
* 2 teaspoons sugar
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 pound unpeeled small or baby red-skinned potatoes
* 1 pound small purple or blue potatoes, peeled
* 1 pound unpeeled small white creamer or White Rose potatoes
* 1 12 ounce package of wieners sliced
* 2 dozen "lady-finger" firecrackers
* 2 cups cooked fresh peas, or one 10-ounce package frozen, thawed
* 1 1/2 cups crumbled blue cheese (about 6 ounces)
*5 ounces fresh blueberries
Whisk 1/2 cup green onions and next 7 ingredients in medium bowl. Cover and chill dressing.
Do ahead: Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.
Place all potatoes in large saucepan. Add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Sprinkle with salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium, and boil until tender, 10 to 15 minutes (time will vary depending on size and variety of potatoes). Drain and cool to room temperature.
Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch-thick slices and place in large bowl. Add dressing, hotdogs, peas, and blue cheese; toss very gently with the firecrackers. Cover and chill at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
Sprinkle potato salad with paprika and remaining 1/2 cup green onions.
Makes about 8 cups