It was around 6:30a, Monday and anchor Jane Shannon, (KIRO m-f, 5-9a) Business Editor Jason Brooks, (filling in the other anchor chair) and Gregoire were doing one of those live-ers they stick in local news in the morning.
(photo: Governor Gregoire: "Shut up, punk!"
Gregoire is in D.C, and has a special section with some other governors to view the Inauguration. She was describing the historic festivities and the mood of the city from a unique perspective.
KIRO news, like everybody, is trying to suck every squidgy little detail out of the Inauguration. It can be really boring, but no one was ready for Brooks' hard-hitting grilling of Gov. Gregoire and her possible cosmetic chemical enhancements.
Governor Gregoire: No Jason, I’m won't.
(uncomfortable dead air)
Jane: Er, thank-you Governor for speaking with us today...
Jason: “I don’t think I’ll be talking with the Governor anytime soon.”
Jane: I don’t think you will either.
Brooks, who's follicle-y challenged, could, in a different world, be quizzed about any hairpiece intentions or baldness-enhancement plans he might have -- but he won't -- he's a man.
(photo: Jason Brooks, "Will you be using hair plugs?")
Maybe this is the new KIRO "FM" sound. Is the morning news going to get more morning zoo?
Brooks should stay in the man's world of business or get a gig on the new sports KIRO ESPN -- he might be better at talking to jocks in the locker room with Dori.
Reader Esteban writes:
- One should question whether he should do live interviews again w/o a pre-approved script!
- One might wonder how it made it past Dan and or Tom???
- What the heck was Jane doing while Jason began his question about dignitaries getting made up for the inauguration? Jane's the senior anchor and ought to be overseeing the show!
- Get Tony Miner in instead of Jason.
- I would expect a public apology for the ill-timed, ill conceived, humiliating question.