Joe Gandelman is the editor at The Moderate Voice, a wry and respected independent political blog. Last week he drove up the California coast where the radio choices are none but right-wing talk.
He writes: "... unless you’re a Republican partisan, this week conservative talk radio seemed infiltrated by Democratic Party moles doing caricatured, extremist off-the-wall broadcasts guaranteed to convince independent voters listening in to vote for Democrats." You think the rhetoric, verbal extremism and unbottled rage displayed at Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain’s recent rallies is something?"
From the mouths of hosts and callers:
1. Obama is a Marxist.
2. Obama hates America.
3. Obama wants to hurt America.
4. This could be the last democratic election in America for some time once Obama gets in power.
5. The association with Ayers shows Obama really associates with terrorists and what his true political leanings are.
6. The liberal news media is actively, consciously working to elect Obama and only conservative talk radio and Fox News offer fair coverage.
7. McCain doesn’t want to win and it has been somehow arranged by big powers behind the scenes to give the election to Obama.
8. When Obama gets in power he will be a radical who will bring socialism or worse to America.
9. Repeated use of his middle name “Hussein” to imply he is a Muslim…or, rather, a dangerous Muslim and fellow traveler of terrorists.
10. All Democrats portrayed as manipulative, lying pols who want to lose the war.
11. McCain is not a real conservative and shows he doesn’t have the stomach to win an election. If he did, he’d turn the last few weeks into a debate about Ayers, Obama’s associations and use the Wright issue and bring these issues up in the final debate. McCain is weak and if these issues were used, he could win.
13. You never know, Obama could put Louis Farrakhan or Jesse Jackson in his cabinet…
12. Bush is being unfairly blamed for the economy but Bill Clinton and the Democratic Congress had a lot to do with it.